Spiritual Ecology: Pollution in the Church

on 17 August 2009

So today I was in a meeting at church and heard Moroni 8 read, at least the part concerning the returning of the Lord to repay the cries from the dust. As this was being read, one phrase caught my ear, maybe because I am entering my post-Mormon degree, but I looked at this a bit differently, and think it might have even more truth than just my opinion.

The phrase was verse 28 “Yea, it shall come in a day when the power of God shall be denied, and churches become defiled and be lifted up in the pride of their hearts; yea, even in a day when leaders of churches and teachers shall rise in the pride of their hearts, even to the envying of them who belong to their churches”

Speaking concerning the coming day of the Lord, it will come when churches become lifted up in the pride of their hearts. This hit me because as a TBM, I read this as the coming of the Lord to restore the gospel. But I wonder why, when the entire Book of Mormon was composed for our day and our time, that this would be included if it was known to Moroni that it wouldn’t not be read until after the prophesy had been fulfilled? Specifically this chapter because it contains verse 35 which states “Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing” I believe that this chapter was written for modern day, and for days yet to come, but not for the prophesying of Joseph Smith. When you look at it with that light and context, and then read the following verses of 36-41 which condemns those who are reading those verse of their pride, their pollutions, their hypocritical natures and he asks “Why have ye polluted the holy church of God?”

Moroni, who has seen us in this very day, is asking why we have polluted the church of God. This means that (depending upon your belief in Fate/inevitability etc.) the church will at some point become polluted. Is it polluted now? Has it been for a while? Is it pure now and the gays are the pollution? These questions I do not have an answer to, but I do know that the Church is not fallible, the church will, at some point in it’s past present or future, will become polluted by the pride of its members, by the hypocrisy of its members, by the secret combinations of its members. I know, that as Moroni prophesized, that “even a day when leaders of churches and teachers shall rise in the pride of their hearts, even to the envying of them who belong to their churches” will come to pass, and maybe it already has. But to those of you who state that the Church is infallible, that it and the gospel are one in the same, that this is an all or nothing deal, I would like you to liken Mormon 8 unto you.

4 comments:

Abelard Enigma said...

Was Moroni speaking to the restored church? Or was he speaking to the churches during the apostasy?

Also, what exactly does it mean when Wilford Woodruff said that God will not allow a prophet to lead us astray? Does it mean the prophet is infallible - God will not allow him to make any mistakes whatsoever? Or does it mean that God will not allow him to lead us so far down the road of apostasy that the priesthood is once again taken from the earth?

Quinn said...

"leaders of churches" I believe that this passage is talking of all the churches of the earth, not the LDS church.

If you remember the Book of Mormon is not a book solely to keep the faithful faithful, it is a book to convince people (not of the faith) of the coming of Christ. It is written for those not of the church more than those of the church.

So although I can see where you are coming from on this, I believe you may have interpreted it incorrectly.

Alan said...

I agree with Quinn's first sentence. That said, nothing specifically excludes the LDS Church from this condemnation either, if the actions of its members have these same effects. To me the church affiliation isn't as important as is the nature of the actions. Moroni doesn't condemn the churches per se, he condemns what they and their adherents do. And we all know Mormons are just as capable of corruption as anyone else.

alotstuff said...

nice blog and have lots of stuff here......

http://www.envrionment.blogspot.com

Post a Comment